What’s the role of public relations when it comes to search engine optimization? When PR thinks SEO, we often talk about jamming keywords into press releases, headlines or blog posts. In reality, overstuffing keywords actually damages search rankings. But, there are a whole host of other ways PR — specifically social media — and SEO can support each other.
On this week’s PR 2.0 Chat (#pr20chat), we took an in-depth look at this very issue. Special guest Lee Odden
schooled imparted his knowledge on all of us, offering a number of tips, tools and action items. Below are some of my favorites tweetable moments from Lee, with nuggets from other chat participants sprinkled in.
- For a good foundation, check out these 10 SEO tips for PR Pros: http://tprk.us/POGCQ, via @leeodden Tweet this
- Once you have keywords, you’ll need: Keyword Glossary and Editorial Plan http://tprk.us/lNxxNp Tweet this
- When building PR plan for clients, consider keywords for all online comms- SM, web, e-newsletters, e-releases via @hanab08 Tweet this
- The right keyword/content mix plus sharing on social networks = the WIN Tweet this
- 10 Steps to Better Content Marketing and SEO http://tprk.us/a4PMlc Tweet this
- Biggest takeaways from @jgoldsborough: People still search like crazy, listening provides content ideas, audit keywords regularly Tweet this
- Too much SEO advice is on high popularity count keywords and not on customer focused phrases that drive biz — @leeodden Tweet this
- Understand what keywords/topics reflect your target audience interest and focus on that <– Good advice from @leeodden Tweet this
- Tool to tool to find competitor keywords and what they rank for on Google: http://semrush.com Tweet this
- Can you imagine how powerful your listening reports could become incorporating @leeodden’s advice? — @chuckhemann Tweet this
- Look to see what people are already searching for *on* your site. Offers a clue to what they expect to find. — @30lines Tweet this
- ID a destination page as a topic target and build content, links around it. Repeat. — @leeodden Tweet this
- PR/SEO Tips: Create keyword glossary. Train writers on basic SEO copywriting and linking. Tweet this
- When working w/ bloggers, be aware of keywords/links in posts about client. Brand awareness SEO benefits. — @HannahDeMilta Tweet this
See a tip you like? Just click on the “tweet this” link to share it with your Twitter network. (Thanks to Sarah Evans for showing me how to create the “tweet this” links!)
What SEO advice would you offer PR and social media pros?
Like what you’re reading? Click here to subscribe.